Tuesday 13 January 2009

From Slumdog to Golden Globe



WARNING!! THIS ARTICLE CONTAINS SPOILERS!

Don't you just love Bollywood? I know I do! This week I saw Slumdog Millionaire, a movie about a by from the slums of Mumbai who wins 20 million Rupees from the Indian version of Who wants to be a Millionaire, and was blown away! Its vibrant colors and stunning imagery of the streets of Mumbai were all spell bounding. It is a film everyone must see.
Jamal, a boy from the slums of Mumbai, is one question away from winning the 20 million Rupees when he is suddenly taken away by the local police. He was charged with cheating and taken away to the police station. How could a "slumdog" ever know all the answers to a game show. But Jamal doesn't go on because he is smart, he goes on to try to find his love: Latika.
Danny Boyle's film has been critically acclaimed and for good reason. The movie grabs you and doesn't let go until it ends. Even as I write this entry I have trouble describing how grand the movie was. It is one that you have to see instead of read.
There wasn't anything negative about this film. I loved it! However I had some questions. If this film is an Indian film there should have not been any kissing. I know that Jamal and Latika kissed for like a second, but still even the thought of it is forbidden in Bollywood films. I was also astonished at how Salim, Jamal's brother, was so evil ever since he was a boy. The scene in which Salim doesn't help Latika get on the train and she is later caught was really mind boggling for me. I was think "How could a little kid be so evil?" It was really astonishing becuase he knew the trouble she would get in if she were caught, but he didn't care. He left her and stopped his brother from helping her. Someone like that, most of the times, gets worse as time goes by.

14 comments:

Robin said...

I love this, Juan! Just checking on one thing.. in the second line you say "about a by from the slums." Should that be boy?
I haven't seen the movie myself, but my mom said it was great. You say that kissing is forbidden in Bollywood films? Did you check into that, because if it's true I'd be curious to know how it ended up in the movie!

Anonymous said...

This review only makes me want to see the film more! : ) I'm looking forward to seeing it in the near future, especially after it won so many awards on The Golden Globes. I never knew about the forbidden kiss rules for Bollywood; that's really interesting. <3

Eden said...

im glad you put the spoiler alert on the top because I still have to get around to seeing this!!!

Jeff Jacobson said...

My dad recommended I see the film and your blog only makes me want see it more! I ignored your "Spoiler Alert" and decided to read it anyway. I don't mind. I want to see this movie, but is there anyone I can go see the movie with? =]

Siobhan said...

I really want to see it, too--let's go together!
Wonder if it'll hang around longer in theaters now b/c of the awards...I bet this is one that you want to see on the big screen b/c of the visuals, but I feel like I've said that a million times and then ended up getting the film later, on Netflix!
Re: Bollywood no-kissing, I don't think that's true...

poldibaroque said...

I also loved the movie. I am not sure if it is an actual Bollywood movie or just done in the "tradition" of one: great story, great acting, and much sentimentality: As to Salim, I think his character was cast as a contrast to Jamal so as to enhance the plot and the tension between the main characters. Bollywood movies are not known for their realism, I'd venture to say.
It is an amazing movie in the sense that it manages to combine a serious subtext (poverty/exploitation) with great entertainment.
Fun blog!
Poldi Binder, Robin's mom

Anonymous said...

I'm really looking forward to seeing this movie, especially after watching the Golden Globes. It looks like an interesting and unique flick that isn't like the usual 'Bride Wars' type things. What a coincidence, Jeff.......I need someone to see it with too. ; ) <3

Jeff Jacobson said...

I don't know Emma... I already have a girlfriend and she would be pretty pissed off if I went out with you... Nevertheless, this review did peak my interest. I am looking forward to you writing more! I saw Marley & Me a couple weeks ago, maybe you can comment on that. I really liked it and would like to hear what other people think.

Juan Ramos said...

Thank you everybody...I hope you guys really liked it...there is more to come....as to the Bollywood no kissing rule...it WAS true, however now that Bollywood is starting to embrace western traditions, kissing in films is no longer taboo... :)

Juan Ramos said...

Also I did make a small mistake...it is a Bollywood inspired movie...however it is not from Bollywood....it is actually a Hollywood film....sorry

Michael said...

A very enthusiastic post. Like the movie, your post had me reading until the end. Nice work. If I find the time I will definitely go see it otherwise I will do what Siobhan does and just watch it on Netflix or something similar.

Siobhan said...

Glad they allow kissing in Bollywood movies now! That's funny they didn't because those movies have always been so heavy on romance.

Have you all seen Monsoon Wedding? That's one of my favorites.

Juan Ramos said...

Actually I have been told to watch Monsoon Wedding...i hear it is amazing....its on my to watch list : )

Eden said...

so i finally saw slumdog this weekend and i LOVEDDDDDDDDD it, so now im ready to read your blog about it