Monday 19 January 2009

Since it is the Eve of Inauguration Day...


....I thought maybe a good political film would get us all hyped up for the big event tomorrow. But I wanted to talk about a film that, in my own experience, not many have seen. No, it is not All the President's Men, although it was a good movie. No, this movie goes more along the comedic side of Washington D.C.
Thank You for Smoking, staring Aaron Eckhart, is a political movie about a lobbyist for the cigarette companies, and his struggle through daily life in the nation's capital. You may think it is a film criticizing the crummy lobbyists on capitol hill, but it is not...completely. It is actually defending them. It plays devil's advocate, a key trait that I love in movies due to the fact that the world is not black and white and needs to be seen through the prespective of all.
In this witty comdey Nick Naylor (Aaron Ekhart) goes from people to people and proves to them how they have been brain washed into thinking that cigarettes kill. In one scene he is talking to his kid, Joey Naylor, and explains the work he does. He then gives him an example. You have to read it below, it would be preferable though that you watch the film, but this should be a great motivator.

Joey Naylor: ...so what happens when you're wrong?
Nick Naylor: Whoa, Joey I'm never wrong.
Nick Naylor: But you can't always be right...
NN: Well, if it's your job to be right, you can never be wrong.
JN: But what if your wrong?
NN: Ok, let's say that you are defending chocolate, and I'm defending vanilla. Now If I were to say to you: 'Vanilla is the best flavour ice-cream', you'd say...
JN: No, chocolate is.
NN: Exactly, but you can't win that argument... so I'll ask you: so you think chocolate is the end all of ice-cream, do you?
JN: It's the best ice-cream, I wouldn't order any other.
NN: Oh! So it's all chocolate for you is it?
JN: Yes, chocolate is all I need.
NN: Well, I need more than chocolate, and for that matter I need more than vanilla. I believe that we need freedom and choice when it comes to our ice-cream, and that Joey Naylor, that is the definition of liberty.
JN: But that's not what we're talking about.
NN: Ah! But that's what I'm talking about.
JN: ...but you didn't prove that vanilla was the best.
NN: I didn't have to, I proved that you're wrong and if you're wrong I'm right.
JN: But you still didn't convince me.
NN: It's that I'm not after you, I'm after them.
[points into the crowd]

Okay, so the dialogue may have had more of an impact if you watched it. But this is what the movie has to offer, an inside into the world of politics and smooth talkers. And like most films, things go wrong and the main character looks for ways to fix his problems. But how? Well, you'll have to find out. 
Overall, it is a great film and if you are interested in politics, it will be even more interesting. Even as I write this review, in a small Starbucks in Georgetown, I get the chuckles. It was a very funny movie, heartfelt and with a great morale. So pick it up at your locale Blockbuster or order online at Netflix and watch it. I'll see everyone on Wednesday, when I get back from D.C. 

5 comments:

Robin said...

AHhhhhhhhhhhhh!!! I love love love this!!! It is so brilliantly written, and your humor comes through at just the right moments!

Robin said...

Also, excellent use of dialogue.. I did see that movie, but I don't remember it will (it had been a looong day at the beach, and I was very very tired), and it jogged my memory a little as well as making me more interested in the movie.

Anonymous said...

I loved watching the inauguration in school the other day. I though that Obama made an extremely eloquent speech and was glad to see the power be removed from the Bush Regime. I though the entire family looked elegant (although, after looking at Michelles' dress close up in today 's paper I have no idea WHAT she was thinking!). <3

Anonymous said...

Also, this sounds sort as if it's on the line of alternative genre. But sometimes those tend to be the best types of movies so I'm interested in checking it out. Also, I agree with Robin in that it was very well written. <3

Siobhan said...

Juan, good review. That dialogue recreation took some work, I'm sure, but it was worth it b/c it gives a flavor of the movie. The flavor being...nicotine?

And I gotta say, Juan you're the bomb! Sitting in a Georgtown cafe, blogging..how cool r u?

Emma: OMG, what WAS she thinking with that dress? She looked like she had a wet wad of paper towels over her shoulder and I swear that dress put 40 pounds on her. I heard Joan Rivers on the radio the next day saying, "I was UPSET by that dress"!